Do you have a website, and you want to reduce the spam score, so that article will be helpful for you? In this article, we will complete a discussion on the website spam score problem that how to check the spam score and reduce this.
Everyone wants to reduce spam score in a website if you are working hard on your site or blog and your spam score is increasing more day by day. So don’t worry in this article I will show you how to reduce spam score.
Just follow my steps and reduce the website spam score. first, we will start by knowing about the Spam score that what is the website spam score?
What is the Website spam score?
The spam score is the website’s rating system released by MOZ in 2015. Spam can cause serious problems for the site – a decrease in the position in the search results, a decrease in the confidence of search engines in the portal, even blocking in search engines.
Further, Spam score depends on the external sites which you got backlinks whether links are do-follow or no-follow. If the spam score will be high on the external site which you got backlinks then your site spam score will be increased.
The Spam score is like cancer for website SEO. Most people ignore this and got a high level of spam on their own site.
According to MOZ, the spam score level is 1% to 100%. The spam score level creates according to the following percentage:
- 1 to 30% consider low
- 31 to 60% considered Medium
- 61 to 100% consider High
If your site spam score is between 1 to 30% then don’t worry you are in a safe portion but you need to reduce this. Moreover, you are in 31 to 60% then its medium condition and if you are in 61 to 100% it’s a very high and dangerous condition for your site.
I hope you will have understood the spam score and now the time is to discuss the spam score that how it creates.
Site Spam Score Increase
The external websites have an important role in increasing spam score, those external sites that have high spam score and our backlinks are connected with them. According to MOZ, they used 27 signal for calculating spam score:
- The low number of pages found: a low number of pages can be a chance to increase the spam score.
- TLD correlated with spam domains: these types of domains (e.g. info, cc, pl,) has many spam domains use.
- Domain name length: The root domain and the length of the subdomain is similar to those used by spam sites.
- A domain name contains numerals: domain names contain numerals can be high chances of spam sites.
- Google Font API Present: Most spam sites don’t use proper API like Google font API.
- Google Tag Manager: spam sites don’t use Google Tag manager in most cases.
- Doubleclick Present: The Doubleclick advert tag is seldom existing on spam sites.
- Phone Number Present: the phone number on-site can make a spam site.
- Links to LinkedIn: most of the non-spam sites have a page that links to linkedIn.
- Email Address Present: Email addresses are mostly not added on spam sites.
- Defaults to HTTPS: Mostly spam sites don’t purchase SSL certificates.
- Use of Meta Keywords: these pages that used meta keywords have high chances of spam.
- Jumpshot Visit Rank: often low visitor sites are spam.
- Rel Canonical: Using a non-local rel=canonical tag is often related to spam.
- Length of Title Element: pages that have a too long or short length of title can be spam.
- The Length of Meta Description: pages that have a too long or short length of meta description can be spam.
- Length of Meta Keywords: sites that used long meta keywords often found on spam sites.
- Browser Icon: Spam sites hardly use a favicon while non-spam sites often do.
- Facebook Pixel: spam sites never used Facebook pixels.
- The number of External Outlinks: spam sites mostly used abnormally high or low external links.
- Number of Domains Linked-To: spam sites mostly used abnormally high or low unique domains to which they link to.
- The ratio of External Links to Content: Spam sites are more possible to have nonstandard ratios of links to content.
- Vowels/Consonants in Domain Name: Spam sites often used many consecutive vowels in their domain name.
- Hyphens in Domain Name: spam sites are often used Hyphens in Domain name.
- URL Length: Spam pages regularly have unusually short or long URL path lengths.
- Presence of Poison Words: spam sites repeatedly employ specific words that are related to webspam topics like treatments, adult content, gaming, and others.
- Uses High CPC Anchor Text: Spam sites frequently employ specific words in the anchor text of outlines that are related to web spam topics like medicines, adult content, gaming, and others.
For more information about the signal for calculating spam score visit on MOZ official site.
In simple wording, the spam score increase due to external spam backlinks. Do the questions arise that how to control doing such things? Yes, you can control these things by doing these steps:
- Don’t create spam backlinks
- Be careful while doing SEO
- Don’t share links on high spam score sites
- If spam backlinks created, you should remove them soon
You are doing SEO then be careful about creating backlinks on high spam score websites, if you created backlinks on spam sites then you will get in trouble, and your site’s spam score will be increasing.
Further according to MOZ they update site spam scores on a monthly basis, and they are still working for improvement.
What does a spam score affect on-site?
Unfortunately, if your website’s Spam score has increased, so What does a spam score affect on-site? You will be facing many problems according to the site, that is mentioned below:
- Decrease website DA and PA
- Decrease organic traffic by Google
- Effect on website trust-worth
- Website penalty by Google
- Will be included in the spammy website list
How to Check the Spam Score?
In this section, we will talk about how to check the spam score? checking website spam score is very simple, just you need to add an MOZ extension then you can see the spam score of any site.
How to add MOZ extension:
- Go into chrome setting
- Open extensions option
- Search MOZ extension
- Add it
- Open MOZ extension
- Create an account
- The one-month limit for free users
You can add a MOZ extension by doing these steps that are mentioned above. Remember that MOZ allows just one-month for free users, you can purchase the pro version which there are many other features.
How to reduce the spam score?
You can reduce website spam score within 15 days, you just need to do the following steps:
- Open MOZ extension
- Click on the spam score
- Create a text file of all bad backlinks
- Submit text file in Disavow Google tool
By doing this you can remove your spam bad links and your website spam score will be decreased. But there is a problem for free users that free users can remove only 50 URLs because the MOZ extension allows only 50 URLs for free users.
Paid and free tool for reducing spam score
Finally, we will know about the paid and free tools for reducing website spam scores. first, we talk about free tools.
The first tool I have already discussed in the above section which we discussed how to use free tools for removing spam bad links. Further, we talk on this topic, you can remove spam bad links by two methods that are mentioned below:
- By MOZ extension
- By Ahrefs Tool
MOZ Extension tool: firstly, you need to open the MOZ extension and click on spam score then you need to check all spam bad backlinks that showing in the list. Open one by one and save these links into notepad and save as a text file.
After doing that you need to submit that text file into the Disavow Google tool. But I already discussed that MOZ allows only 50 URLs for free users.
Ahrefs Tool: second free method which you can remove website spam bad backlinks, you just need to open Ahrefs tool for checks backlinks and Ahrefs will show all backlinks of your site.
Then you need to open all links one by one and check the spam score on these sites with the help of the MOZ extension if the spam score is up to 10% you need to remove that. Simply copy that link and save it into a text file and submit the text file into the Disavow Google tool.
By doing this you can remove bad backlinks on your site but there is a problem, Aherf show limited backlinks, which means you can only remove limited bad backlinks.
If you want to use a paid tool, you can use MOZ pro which allows unlimited bad links that you can add into a text file and submit in the Disavow Google tool. How to use this paid tool:
- Go into MOZ pro
- Enter URL
- Will be show list of all bad links
- You need to save it into a text file
- Submit in Disavow for removing links
This is a proper way to remove all bad backlinks in your site and after somedays, you will see that all bad backlinks will be removed and the website spam score will decrease.
Further, if you have any queries related to the topic, you can ask through the comment box and also give the best suggestion for reducing the spam score of the website.
Read also: 12 Basic SEO Tips For Beginners to Improve Website Ranking