Firmware is software or program that is embedded in the hardware of devices that help it operate its functions. Devices like modems, routers, printers, extenders, mesh WiFi systems, mobile phones, etc. have firmware installed in them. This post will talk about why you need to keep your Orbi firmware updated and how you can get through the update process. Stick to the read to learn more about it.
Why to Update Orbi Firmware?
Just like you update the operating system of your phone and computer, you should also update the firmware of the Netgear Orbi device. With every new update, new features get added to the device. Apart from that, some bugs also get fixed with updates. There is an enhanced security. Simply put, you will get an overall improvement in the device. So it becomes essential to have the latest version of firmware on your Orbi device.
Netgear releases firmware updates for all its devices on a regular basis. If you have opted for automatic updates, then Orbi will get updated automatically as per the scheduled update times. However, many users prefer manually updating their Orbi devices. It is a simple process. Only a few things you need to take care of and you are good to go.
How to Update Netgear Orbi Manually?
It is a 2-step process.
- Download the Firmware
- Install the Firmware
The instructions for the same have been discussed ahead.
- You need to switch on your computer or laptop.
- Run an internet browser on it.
- Go to Netgear Download Center.
- Find the latest firmware for your Orbi model.
- Download the file and save it on your computer.
- Unzip it if required.
Note: Every Orbi model has a different firmware update. So, you should be vigilant while downloading the firmware file. Make sure it is meant only for the Orbi model that you have. If you try to update your Orbi device with another firmware file, this may brick your Orbi.
Install the Firmware on Orbi
You now need to access the Orbi login page and install firmware on your device. Here are the instructions:
- Initiate the process by verifying the connection between the Orbi router and the modem. These two devices ought to be connected properly to avoid any login and firmware update issues.
- After that, see to it that the Orbi system and the modem are receiving a consistent power supply.
- FYI, poor power supply and unstable internet connection can hinder the firmware update process. So you need to make sure that the power supply is non-fluctuating and the internet connection is stable.
- Now, open a new tab on your browser that you opened on your PC.
- Visit the Netgear Orbi login page using the IP address or the login URL.
- Key in the admin login values in the provided fields and click Login.
- You will be logged in to your Orbi and reach its admin dashboard.
Note: Keep in mind that if you want to update the entire Orbi system, then first you need to update the firmware on the Orbi satellite and then the router.
- In the Settings, click Advanced.
- Next, click Administration and then on Firmware Update.
- Now, click on the Manual Update tab.
- This will display the firmware update page in front of you.
- First, you need to update your satellite.
- Click on the checkbox next to your Orbi satellite modem number.
- Now, click Update.
- On the window that opens up, click on the Browse button.
- Navigate and choose the firmware file. Make sure you are choosing the file for the satellite.
- To begin installing the firmware on the satellite, click on the Upload button.
- Wait till you get a message saying the firmware is updated on the Orbi satellite.
- Be very certain that you are not interrupting the process while it is being executed.
Soon the Netgear Orbi satellite will be updated with the most recent firmware version. In the same way, you can update the firmware on your router by going back to the main Home page and following the same steps. Be sure that this time you are installing the firmware file that is meant for the Orbi router.
Now, you can check the status of the firmware on the Status page. You will see the current version of the firmware installed on both devices.
This is how you can update the Orbi devices by logging in using the IP address 192.168.1.1 or the login URL orbilogin.com.
In the End
Here we conclude our helpful and informative piece of write-up penned down on how and why update the Netgear Orbi whole home mesh WiFi system. You can now have an enhanced WiFi experience from the recently updated Netgear Orbi system.