Water ionisers are small, portable machines that use ionisation to neutralise acidity and combat free radicals. Minerals, carbonates, and dissolved carbon dioxide are all present in tap water. Using electrolysis, an ioniser removes the carbonate minerals and sends them to a different filter channel. As alkaline minerals like magnesium and calcium combat acidity and have antioxidant effects, they are essential to separate water ionizers. For alkaline water, ionisers have distinct channels, but it’s all one big channel for acid water. Acidic water frequently contains trace amounts of chlorine, fluoride, and sulphur.
Water Ionizer Operation:
For working, every water ioniser must go through a two-step procedure. Filtration is used in the first case, whereas electrolysis is used in the second. An entrance port receives tap water, while two exits separate alkaline water from acidic water. The alkaline water is used to make tea and other drinks, while the acidic water is disposed of.
Filtration: It is necessary to filter water before consuming it since polluted water contains chlorine, smell, and other impurities.
Electrolysis: Filtered water is sent into a chamber with two electrodes, where it is processed. Typically, the electrodes are made of titanium with a platinum coating on the outside. These electrodes ionise water to separate the positive and negative ions. Alkaline water is formed when positive ions gather around the negative electrode, whereas acidic water is formed when negative ions are drawn to the positive electrode. Drinking alkaline water, which contains minerals like calcium, magnesium, and potassium, is a healthy habit.
Acidic water is only used for specific purposes and never drunk. On the other hand, acidic water is collected and used for exterior cleaning after being pumped via a separate tube. The ionisation process works by taking the ions in the tap water and isolating them.
- A negative hydroxyl ion and a positive hydrogen ion are formed during the electrolysis process in the electrolytic chamber.
- Antioxidant properties come from the negatively charged hydroxyl ions in alkaline water. Antioxidants bind to free radicals in the body and prevent them from harming by neutralising the effects of oxidation.
- Meanwhile, in a separate stream, acidic water contains many hydrogen ions that are positively charged. Acidic water disinfects and kills germs by acting as a potent oxidant.
Using Alkaline Water Has Many Advantages
Furthermore, drinking alkaline water instead of ordinary water has several health benefits. It has gained popularity over the years in Australia because of these reasons:
- Mineral hydrates are formed when calcium and magnesium ions combine with nearby hydroxyl ions. In the organism, free radicals may be neutralised by alkaline water’s negative oxidation potential. Alkaline water acts as an antioxidant to counteract oxidative chemicals that speed up the ageing process and harm cells.
- The minerals found in alkaline water, such as calcium and magnesium, help keep tap water safe by removing contaminants like chlorine and fluoride. Because of this, water is safe to drink and doesn’t contain any contaminants that might create issues down the road.
- Alkaline water is said to help with weight reduction and colon cleansing. Some even make claims of cancer resistance, but there’s no way to know whether they’re true.
Alkaline water has many advantages over regular tap water, such as the ability to neutralise acidity, antioxidants, and improved taste of the water. Tap water is often cloudy and discoloured, and it may have an unpleasant odour. There’s even more motivation for Australians to use water ionisers at home!
When it comes to maintaining an ionised water machine, what should you avoid?
For effective ionisation machine maintenance, pay attention to the dos and don’ts. They are as follows:
The water filters need to be updated every six to twelve months, and the process takes a few minutes. Before putting them in the machine, make sure they’ve been thoroughly flushed with water for two to five minutes. To keep it looking new, wipe off the outside of the ionisation machine with a moist cloth or use a sponge. In addition, a cartridge specified by the ioniser manufacturer must be used for regular interior cleaning.
Users should not clean the water ioniser in any way other than what is specified in the handbook. When possible, stay away from non-manufacturer-provided or incompatible procedures. The cleaning procedure must be completed all the way through, with no stops in between. Thoroughly cleaning the ioniser will prevent bacteria from growing. Avoid wiping the ioniser’s exterior with household cleansers, as this may scratch the display, degrade the buttons, and create other problems.