26.7 C
New York
Saturday, July 13, 2024

US Tourist Visa: A Guide for Norwegian Travelers

Traveling to the USA for tourism can be a dream for many Norwegians. From New York’s bustling streets to California’s sunny beaches, the United States has a lot to offer. However, to make this dream a reality, you need to understand what type of visa or travel permit you need. For short-term tourist visits, many Norwegian citizens can qualify for travel under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) using an ESTA application. In this article, we explain the difference between a tourist visa and ESTA, and how to apply for them.

What is a Tourist Visa?

A tourist visa, known as the B-2 visa, is a US visa that allows foreign nationals to visit the US for recreational activities, including vacations, visiting friends or family, medical treatment, and participation in social events. B-2 visas are required for individuals who do not qualify for or wish to travel under the Visa Waiver Program.

What is ESTA?

ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization) is an electronic system used by the US authorities to pre-authorize travelers from countries participating in the VWP, including Norway. An approved ESTA gives permission to travel to the United States without a visa for short-term visits of up to 90 days.

Who needs a Tourist Visa?

You must apply for a tourist visa (B-2) if:

You do not qualify for VWP.

  • You plan to stay in the US for more than 90 days.
  • You have previously been refused entry to the United States or have a criminal background.
  • You wish to visit the United States for purposes other than those permitted under the VWP.

How to apply for a Tourist Visa?

Fill out the DS-160 form: This is the electronic nonimmigrant visa application form. You can find it on the US Embassy website.

  • Pay the visa fee: The visa fee for the B-2 visa is usually around $160.
  • Schedule an interview: After completing the DS-160 and paying the fee, you must schedule a visa interview at the nearest US embassy or consulate.
  • Attend the interview: During the interview, a consular officer will ask questions about your trip and the purpose of your visit. You must also provide necessary documents, such as passport, photo, proof of financial resources, and any additional information required.

How to apply for ESTA?

Visit the official ESTA website: Go to the ESTA application page.

  • Complete the application: You must provide personal information, travel information and answer security questions.
  • Pay the fee: The fee for ESTA is $14, which can be paid by credit or debit card.
  • Submit your application: After submission, you will usually receive a decision within a few minutes to 72 hours.

Important differences between Tourist visa and ESTA

  • Duration: A tourist visa USA can allow a longer stay than 90 days, while an ESTA approval only allows a stay of up to 90 days.
  • Process: The application process for a tourist visa is more extensive and requires an interview, while the ESTA application is simple and can be done online.
  • Cost: The visa fee for a tourist visa is higher than the fee for ESTA.


Traveling to the United States as a tourist requires either a valid visa or an ESTA approval, depending on your specific needs and travel plans. Norwegian citizens can often take advantage of ESTA for short-term visits, but those who plan longer stays or do not qualify for VWP must apply for a B-2 tourist visa. For more information and application, visit the official ESTA application page and the US Embassy website.

Uneeb Khan
Uneeb Khan
This is Uneeb Khan, have 4 years of experience in the websites field. Uneeb Khan is the premier and most trustworthy informer for technology, telecom, business, auto news, games review in World.

Related Articles

Stay Connected

Google News Follow Button

Latest Articles